Friday, July 23, 2010

Halfway done!

Today I had chemo #3. Same routine plus Avastin. In our conference with the doctor, he was less than enthusiastic about the Avastin, saying the the data doesn't indicate a great improvement in recurrence and no noted improvement in survival. But what I now know is that ALL the drugs are questionable as to their effectiveness for my particular, rare disease. So, I decided if the insurance was willing to pay for it, it was like adding an additional bit of buckshot to our attack on the cancer. Of course that also means more side effects to look out for, but if it proves to be too troublesome, I won't be torn up about dropping it. The doctor's office got it preapproved so Avastin is now coursing through my veins. ...along with lots of other scary drugs. More water, please.
Our friend Michiko is staying here for about one week. She really wants to help out with the after-chemo blahs that I always feel. It's going to be wonderful to have someone willing to do the cooking chores for a few days. Almost like having my sister Alicia here.
I think my general emotional health is more normal. I cry less, and usually from frustration, rather than from sadness. If I'm tired or aching, I become more depressed, but that happens seldom. It's great to be getting my own life back. Day by day as the saying goes.
I hope you all went to the facebook page and checked out the glorious wall hanging that was made by my friends and assembled by Alicia. It's a wonderful comfort to look up from my bed each morning and view it before rising. I love my support group.

No comments:

Post a Comment