Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Kindness of Strangers

In the past couple of days I've encountered some incredibly kind people, you know, the "random acts of kindness," directed at me. Even though I'd never consider cancer a blessing, I do recognize that these things probably would not have happened to me except that I'm obviously a cancer patient (no hair, eyebrows, eyelashes). So I see them as little miracles. Here's what happened:
Miracle #1. Last Friday, 6 days before my MD Anderson appt.) I got a call from that hospital that my insurance won't pay for out-of-state CT scans. The scan is one of the main reasons I want to return there. The next Monday, I talked directly to the insurance person who approves/disapproves coverage, and after a bit of honest talk she went ahead and gave us an approval (but won't do so ever again!)
Miracle #2. Yesterday I flew to Houston for the MD Anderson appointments. The cheapest way to fly involved 3 flights: CRW to ATL to Orlando to HOU. The Atlanta to Orlando was delayed so that I missed the flight to Houston by seconds; after rushing through the maze of Orlando's airports. At first the gate agent suggested I rent a car and drive to Tampa where he could get me on a flight. I nixed that idea while trying to NOT cry. Then he said, "Meet me at the next gate in 2 hours. I'll get you on that flight." and he did!
Miracle #3. On a airport train-like thing, a young man said, "Ma'am, your shoelaces are about to come loose." I started to explain that they are just extra long and always stay tied, but just leaned over to give them a little tightening instead.
The young man went down on his knees and said, "Please, let me do it. I was in the military and I just have to do it right. You could fall and hurt yourself if you stepped on them." And there on the little swaying train a twenty-something man double-knotted my shoelaces. It wasn't creepy, just very, very, sweet.  Of course, I UN-double-knotted the laces after boarding my plane.
Today I have a day of labs and tests at MD Anderson. Tomorrow the Dr. tells me what they all mean (or so I hope.)

No comments:

Post a Comment